Monday, August 13, 2012

That's Amore!

Garozzo's Ristorante on Urbanspoon

I've been coming here for 20+ years for the Spiedini alla Garozzo. It is one of the best chicken spiedini dishes that I have had anywhere I've been.  For those who may not know, spiedini is sort of like an Italian kebab.  In Kansas City, I would rate it number two after the spiedini made by the proprietors of Sorrento's Italian Restaurant in Riverside.  If you don't like garlic, don't order the Spiedini alla Garozzo, try one of the other spiedini dishes instead. They serve six variations, four made with chicken, one with beef and one with veal. My spouse’s favorite is the “Samantha”, it is chicken spiedini served on fettuccine with artichoke hearts and alfredo sauce. 

The Spiedini is the only food item that I think is great here. I like my pasta to be al dente and the pasta here is mushy, so I won't eat it and their red sauce is too sweet for me. I've never been to the suburban eateries, only the original. I come here for the Spiedini and the atmosphere.  It is incredibly dark, (I have to use my iPhone as a flashlight to see the wine list).  There is music from the Rat Pack playing in the back ground, you know, Dean-o and Frank favorites like "Come fly with me", "That's amore", "Ain't that a kick in the head", etc.  The owner, Michael, walks around and interacts with his customers, I love that!  It feels very comfortable here so I like to hang-out here, drinking wine and enjoying the time with my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment